Student Advisory Department
Marian's Student Advisory Department assists each student in her academic and personal/social development and college planning. The Department cooperates with teachers, administrators, parents and specialists to help each student define and achieve appropriate educational and personal goals.
Marian offers all students a highly academic, college-preparatory course of studies. The Student Advisory Department facilitates course selection consistent with ability and interest, preparing young women for future opportunities beyond the walls of Marian. Marian’s Educational/Academic Preparation Program:
Student Success Information
The Student Success Coordinator works with students who have both diagnosed and undiagnosed learning disabilities. There are several strategies that the Student Success Coordinator uses in order to improve academic success at Marian. From organizational tips, providing visual and auditory directions, exams offered orally and overall study skill techniques, Marian will work individually with each student to ensure their continued growth and success at the college preparatory level.
- Provides individual and small group educational planning
- Organizes freshman study skills sessions
- Develops a four-year plan of study
- Monitors academic progress
- Coordinates registration process
- Facilitates peer-tutoring program
- Facilitates testing program
6th & 7th grade test
8th grade placement exam
ACT and SAT
Advanced Placement tests
- Reports and interprets test results
- Conducts PSAT, ACT and SAT preparation classes
- Assesses alumnae information
- Facilitates Marian’s dual enrollment program
Important Documents for parents and students:
Marian’s Guidance Department strives to enhance personal and social maturation. High school is a new, exciting, and sometimes intimidating experience. The Department sponsors several different groups and programs to ensure your daughter finds her place and continues to grow personally. Marian’s Personal/Social Development Program:
- Organizes support groups
- Assists with adjusting to high school
- Provides individual and group counseling
- Sponsors IDEAS – Increasing Diversity and Equality Among Students – a multi-cultural student group
- Coordinates life skills education through a seminar series that includes:
Drug/alcohol related topics
- Coordinates life skills across the curriculum
- Facilitates crisis and emergency intervention
- Provides response counseling for everyday needs
Once again, during the fall semester, students will have the opportunity to participate in support groups. These three groups will meet during the school day, once a week for eight weeks. The groups are led by the Student Advisory Department and offer support in the following areas:
Divorce Group: for students who are coping with the dynamics of divorce.
Grief Group: for those students who have experienced a loss of someone close to them.
Drug/Alcohol Group: For those students whose lives have been or are impacted by another person’s abuse of drugs/alcohol.
*Contact your daughter’s counselor for more information.
Marian views college preparation as a four-year journey, beginning with career exploration and culminating in the college search process. The Student Advisory Department works closely with students, parents and faculty in preparing young women for college and beyond. Marian’s College/Career Exploration Program:
- Assists with searching for and applying to colleges
- Administers and interprets interest inventories and career search programs
- Organizes career information
- Coordinates Senior Job Shadowing Program
- Facilitates parent meetings
Informational Parent Evenings
Junior Parent College Night
Senior Parent College Night
College Financial Aid Night
Guest speaker programs for the community
- Coordinates college fairs and admission counselor visits
- Operates a student-focused College Center
- Posts scholarship and open house opportunities
- Offers a variety of resources for college planning on Marian’s website
- Posts information on educational forums, travel abroad programs and other leadership events.
Our Student Advisory Department
The Student Advisory Department looks forward to the new school year.
Ms. Kathy DeBoer will work with the students whose last names begin with (A-G).
Mrs. Laura Gelecki will work with students whose last names begin with (H-N).
Ms. Kathy Janata will work with students whose last names begin with (O-Z).
Mrs. Sheila Zimmerman is the Registrar and will assist the counselors and staff in the College Center.
Mrs. Jennifer Christen is the Student Success Coordinator.
Mrs. Kathleen Tompkins, Assistant Principal, is the Academic Director.
*All services are provided in confidence, in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, consistent with ethical and professional guidelines.