National Honor Society Selection Requirements
According to Article VIII, Section I, of the constitution of the National Honor Society, “Membership in the local chapters is an honor bestowed upon a student. Selection for membership is based on outstanding scholarship, character, leadership and service.Students have two opportunities to earn membership during the first semester of grades 11 and 12.
SCHOLARSHIP – All candidates are required to have a cumulative GPA of 3.8.
LEADERSHIP – Each candidate must demonstrate leadership traits for National Honor Society consideration. Students are asked to list all elected or appointed leadership positions held in school, community or work activities during high school. Positions of direct responsibility for directing or motivating others should be listed.
CHARACTER – All eligible students and members must abide by school regulations as stated in this handbook. The student is expected to maintain good character within the school and community. Infractions could eliminate the student from National Honor Society selection. Members can be dismissed. All eligible students must receive a majority of above average ratings from teachers. The student’s attitude toward the subject, toward her fellow students, and toward school in general is considered. The following guidelines will be used to identify the character of the candidate:
- Demonstrates the highest standards of honesty and reliability.
- Upholds principles of morality and ethics. Exemplifies desirable qualities of personality (cheerfulness, friendliness, poise, stability)
- Cooperates by complying with school regulations concerning property, programs, study halls, etc.
- Observes instructions and rules, punctuality, and faithfulness both inside and outside the classroom
- Has powers of concentration and sustained attention as shown by perseverance and application to studies
- Manifests truthfulness in acknowledging obedience to rules, avoiding cheating in written work, and showing unwillingness to profit by the mistakes of others.
- A student must be punctual to school. Excessive unexcused absences and tardies will eliminate a student from recommendation.
- A student who has accumulated a significant number of disciplinary points will be at a disadvantage for membership consideration.
SERVICE – Service shall include involvement in three activities, one community nonprofit organization activity done during high school and two Marian activities. Each activity must include a minimum of 15 volunteer hours. Each activity must include verification of participation by a sponsor of the activity. Examples of acceptable activities include plays, musicals, clubs, sports, student government, etc. Only one activity from an area can be submitted.
The National Honor Society Faculty Council encourages candidates to “think outside the box” regarding service opportunities, and also activity/club involvement in the era of COVID-19 and will evaluate taking this into consideration.