“The love of learning, the sequestered nooks, and all the sweet serenity of books.” –Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
College Preparatory Writing
Marian’s school-wide writing program supports and enhances the English Department’s college preparatory writing curriculum. All students take four years of literature and composition. In addition, they may elect to take a four-year program in competitive speech, a two-year program in journalism or a one-semester program in creative writing. The English Department has been commended five times by the National Council of Teachers of English for excellence in its instructional program. Both the elective speech and journalism programs have won state and national recognition and awards.
- Honors Composition & Literature
- Composition & Literature
- Honors American Literature & Composition
- American Literature & Composition
- Honors/AP English Literature and Composition
- English Literature and Composition
- Honors/AP English Language and Composition
- Honors World Literature and Composition
- World Literature & Composition
- Honors Journalism II
- Journalism I
- Novice Competitive Speaking
- Honors Varsity Competitive Speaking
- Creative Writing
Summer Reading Program
Click here to see all information on Marian’s Summer Reading Program.
- As one of its service projects, the Marcella Chapter of the National English Honor Society hosts a Writing Center designed to help Marian students with essays and papers. The Marcella Writing Center is open on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday mornings in the Student Services Department to answer questions about writing papers. Students who may be struggling with MLA formatting, embedded citations, Works Cited pages, or direct and indirect quotations are encouraged to stop in the writing center. A senior, who is a member of the NEHS, will be available to work with students. The NEHS members will not help write the papers or essays but will answer technical questions and direct students to places where the students could find the answers to their questions.
- All Marian students submit writing assignments to Turnitin. This website improves student writing by preventing plagiarism and providing rich feedback to students.
- The Marian High School English Department uses MLA citation for research and writing assignments. Click here to view a Formatting and Style Guide. For additional help with MLA citation, students may use the following citation generators. Be sure to use MLA 8th edition.
Citation Machine: http://www.citationmachine.net/mla8/cite-a-book
Easy Bib: http://www.easybib.com/
National English Honor Society
Every spring qualified juniors are inducted into the Marcella Chapter of the National English Honor Society. The Marcella Chapter is named in honor of Marian’s first principal, Sr. Marcella Sitzman, O.S.M.
In keeping with the national motto, “Duty goes with honor,” the Marian chapter has an annual service project: the Marian High School Marcella Writing Center.
To become a member of NEHS, a Marian student must earn an A in 5 semesters of required English courses.