Marian 101: Things You Need to Know
Below is a list of topics that are often asked about from incoming and current parents.
- Monday – Thursday, school starts at 7:50 a.m. and ends at 3 p.m.
- On Fridays, school is from 8:30 a.m.-3 p.m.
- Early dismissals are at 12:40 p.m.
- Many students arrive around 7:30 a.m. in order to get organized for the day.
- Please see the online calendar for the most up-to-date information on all activities.
How early/late can students arrive/stay each day?
- Students may arrive at school beginning at 6:30 a.m. and should be off campus by 5:30 p.m.
- The main entrance doors will be open for students between 6:30 a.m. and 4 p.m.
Additional Building Information
- Marian has security monitoring the building and parking lot between the hours of 6 a.m. and 8 p.m. On early dismissal days, security will remain on campus until 2 p.m.
- Teachers are available for outside class help between 7:30-7:50 a.m. and 3-3:25 p.m. and during their individual plan periods.
- You can find the full uniform dress code in the student/parent handbook here.
- On Fridays, students may wear their Marian skirt/skort with a Marian t-shirt (from clubs, dances, etc.)
- Skirt or skort
- Marian branded short or long sleeve polo shirts
- Black, white or gray socks
- Closed toe shoes
- Optional sweater, cardigan, quarter-zip, etc.
Where to Buy
Parking & Carpool Information
- Students with a parking tag may park in the upper lot, lower lot and the Performing Arts Center lot.
- You may purchase a new parking tag here.
- Students must re-register their parking hang tag each year. There is no cost for re-registration. Re-registration can be completed here.
- If you are looking for a carpool for your daughter, contact Jen Christen at 402.571.2618 x1108 or email@example.com.
Start of the School Year
- Students are assigned to read a book over the summer. Each class will read a different book. Click here for more information.
- Athletic tryouts usually begin a few days prior to the first day of school. Check the tryouts page for all information.
- Freshman Orientation is the first day of school for all incoming students. Freshmen will have a half day and go through their schedule. Transfer students have their own orientation, held by Student Services. Uniforms are mandatory. The following day is the first day with the entire student body at Marian.
- Freshmen will receive their iPad at Freshman Orientation. Each student must have her own Apple ID. It is recommended that she set one up prior to Freshman Orientation.
- Generally, teachers will issue a list of necessary supplies on the first day or two of classes.Most students will bring a few notebooks, folders and pens/pencils on the first day.
- Students can carry their backpacks throughout the day. Most students bring books for a few classes at a time. Generally, students change books at their locker before school, lunch or homeroom.
- Padlocks for personal lockers are not mandatory.
- Traditionally held early in the first semester, this evening gives parents the chance to attend their daughter’s classes and meet her teachers by following her schedule. Check the online calendar for the date.
- Freshman and sophomore parents are invited to join the Student Services Department before Curriculum Night for an overview and discussion of the year ahead. Freshman parents will meet in the East Gym and sophomore parents will meet in the Kish Auditorium.
- Parent/Teacher conferences are held twice each academic year, after the first quarter of that semester. Check the online calendar for the date of this year’s conferences. Parents may always contact their daughter’s teachers at any time throughout the year if they have questions of concerns.
Monthly Parent Newsletter
- On the first of each month, parents will receive a newsletter via email with information on school functions, counseling, college and other relevant activities.
- If you are not receiving the parent newsletter, first check your spam folder in your email. If you need to be added to our email list, click here.
- The parent newsletter can also be accessed on our website here.
- The Marian PowerSchool portal can be accessed here.
- Parents will receive PowerSchool login information by early July each year.
- Each year, forms will need to be completed in PowerSchool prior to the first day of school. The mailing in July will further outline these details.
- Academic schedule, grades, discipline points, parking and lunch fee balances are in PowerSchool.
- Sign up to receive email notifications.
- To change your information, click on e-registration at the bottom left-hand corner. Contact Mary Steiner at 402.571.2618×1127 if you have questions.
- The NSAA requires an annual physical dated after May 1 of the previous spring in order to participate in any sanctioned athletics.
- The physician must complete a Marian form. Forms are available here. Make sure to fill out both forms completely.
- Forms must be submitted to Melissa Brusnahan before a student is allowed to participate in any tryouts or practices. You can contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org or 402.934.1204.
- A complete listing of books and procedures is mailed to each family in mid-July.
- Marian uses eTechCampus as its book provider. A book list and purchasing options may be found here.
- See all of Marian’s textbook information here.
- Some books may be purchased directly through Marian. These items may be found here.
- Marian students have the option to bring their own lunch from home or buy lunch in the cafeteria.
- The cafeteria does not accept cash. You can load money onto e-Funds for Schools here. You will need to make an account. From there, you can track your balance and meal transactions.
- Every other Tuesday, the Marian Moms Crew provides lunch for the day. The lunch costs $5 and is accepted in cash only. You may also purchase a Marian Moms lunch punch card at the beginning of the school year for $50. This covers 10 of the 12 meals provided by the Marian Moms Crew. More information about the punch card can be found here.
- There are several vending machines that have snacks and drinks.
- Many students who receive tuition assistance participate in the work-study program. Please contact Mrs. Shari Anderson Reynolds (email@example.com or ext. 1148) with questions about work-study. Answers may vary from student to student, so it is best to address her directly.
- Parents are welcome to attend school Masses.
- Each student will be assigned a counselor at the beginning of her freshman year. This will be her counselor throughout her four years at Marian.